Friday, February 13, 2009

60's campy at it's best

I remember loving this show when I was in elementary school. I remember mom buying me the coloring book based on the television show. I not only colored the pages but learned to draw the Batman character by referencing the coloring book - not the comic book. Funny thing is I don't recall ever purchasing a Batman comic book as a kid. I spent my hard earned money on war comics.

Batman is campy-campy-campy. I once had an 8 x 10 glossy photograph of the Batmobile. I wish that I still had it. My dad used to do the layouts for Green Valley Raceway (Glencoe) when Dr. Charles Jordan had it. The Batmobile as well as the Green Hornet car, and the dragsters from The Munsters made and appearance at Green Valley through out the sixties. I had photographs of all of them. I gave most of them away to kids in my class room. What a generous idiot I am.

The great thing about the old show is that it had great actors playing the roles of the villains. Cesar Romero / The Joker, Burgess Meredith / The Penguin, Frank Gorshin / The Riddler, Vincent Price / Egghead, Mr. Freeze was played by three actors during it's short three season run. George Sanders, Otto Preminger, and Eli Wallach.

Adam West who played Batman is still pretty active. He is currently doing the voice for a character in the animated television show The Family Guy. He's actually doing the voice of himself as Mayor of Quahog - Adam West. It's nice to see an actor not taking himself too serious.

1 comment:

Greene Street Letters said...

Batman was so larger than life when it came on ABC in the '60's. IT was just cool x 10 and the gadgets and cars were what made th show. it did not take itself too seriously and it was just a great show to watch.
I'll see you later....
Same Bat time...
Same Bat Channel....