Monday, February 9, 2009

sea monkey business

Remember seeing those comic book Ads through out the 60's and 70's that featured a little family of Sea Monkeys? "Just add water - a bowl full of happiness?" Even as a little kid I wasn't buying this crap. Though Sea Monkey Corp. never made a thin rail road penny off of me - somebody must have raked in plenty of money to keep posting those Ads in all those comic books for all those years. Even if it were true, little families of little fleshy creatures waving at me from a bowl - gives me the willies. I don't think I would have wanted them watching me. Now I have never seen a Sea Monkey other than this cartoon illustration but I can't imagine being able to train them - no matter what the Ad says. You can see where the Ad copy says that these little Sea Monkeys are eager to please. Then there's that blond female Sea Monkey - is she eager to please as well? What kind of husband Sea Monkey would pimp out Mrs. Sea Monkey like that. I tell you there's something wrong with Sea Monkeys...wicked wrong!

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Sea monkeys?
Yep, I remember 'em.
I didn't buy any though. I did purchase "MOON ROCKS". You could grow your on lunar landscape. I think it cost me $.99
The package was addressed to Master Michael Bynum. That's the way they did it back in the day.
It came with a mini acquarium...
2" By 6" and some tablets that were different colors.
You filled the mini acquarium with water and drop the tablets in. Within a week you had all these little stalagtites growing up creating a neat litte moon scape in the acquarium.
I ordered tons of stuff from comic books and ceral boxes. Folks in Battle Creek, Michigan knew me well.
mb

RODRIGUEZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RODRIGUEZ said...

I'd buy more stuff too if they called me 'Master'.

You know... I don't like the thoughts of Sea Monkeys either. A little creepie. Plus the name doesn't help. Two words that should never go together: sea and monkey.....or pocket and stew.