Tuesday, February 3, 2009

return of the king

Funny thing, I wasn't a fan of elvis until the mid-eighties. I had heard Elvis' music and seen all of his movies through out my childhood. I just didn't think much of him. I guess I just couldn't get past the teens swooning, and the formulaic movies, and those crazy costumes through out the seventies.

One night I was working at Eckerd drugs and MTV was playing Elvis' 68 Comeback Special. My mouth dropped. I had never seen the special - never heard of it's existence. It was the first time I had ever seen and heard Elvis like this. I became a late fan of his. Before the Comeback Special, Elvis Presley was just a strange character - but that night I saw his energy and talent shine. This is Elvis at his best.

8 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

Hey...I wasn't a fan of his movies either. They reminded me of those 60's Disney Beach movies. I grew up listening to Elvis...before I ever saw a movie of his. The 68 Comeback was my favorite. My mother had the VHS. I wore it out.

RODRIGUEZ said...

From documentaries I've watched, it seems Elvis wasn't a big fan of his movies, either. He wanted better roles; he didn't like the stereotype he was in. Some people can break through them, some, not so much. Do you think Elvis could've? I think maybe so, I would've liked to have seen him have the opportunity. Think Farrah; she turned out to be a great actress. kdr

Darryl said...

Ditto -- Elvis in the round was his best performance ever. Shooting the breeze with the guys, ad-libbing lyrics, sweating in the black leather, just having fun.

David Finlayson said...

I think Elvis would have done fine in Hollywood. I don't know if he could have ever away from being "Elvis" on film - that would be a challenge.

He made three westerns LOVE ME TENDER, FLAMING STAR, and CHARRO. The only one I remember seeing is LOVE ME TENDER. It was okay. I'll keep an eye out for the other two.

Robert Duvall had an excellent part in a movie called TENDER MERCIES. I think of Elvis and wonder what he could've done with a roll like that. No - I doubt if he could have done better than Duvall(not in the same league),but TENDER MERCIES is the kind of roll that would have tested his acting chops.

RODRIGUEZ said...

Hey, Saturday, Flaming Star was on AMC. I didn't sit down and watch the whole thing but caught enough of it, including the ending, to get the gist of it. kdr

David Finlayson said...

If it was on AMC - it will be on a bunch more times. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks Denise!

Greene Street Letters said...

ELLLLLLVis!
I wasn't a big fan either until latter in his life.
I had a friend during the early
1970's who was the fan of all Elvis fans. He'd seen Elvis like a gazillion times. The thing that got me was the day Elvis died, my friend took off from work and actually had people send flowers to his house.
weird?
mb

David Finlayson said...

I guess it's only fitting that the king died upon his throne.