Friday, February 20, 2009

airplane glue is a lot of fun

Assembling scale models were a favorite past time for boys back in the 1950's-60's. That's the era when scale modeling hit it's peak in popularity. The names Revell and Aurora come to mind. They were the two top model makers of that time. I remember my older brother Brook gluing together some nice looking WWII fighter planes and some PT boats. He had the PT boats displayed on the long window ledge in our bedroom.

These models were too cool for a little brother to just keep his grubby little mits off. I remember getting a little carried away with one of Brook's airplane models after seeing the movie 633 Squadron. I was humming the theme to the movie as the plane dropped it's bomb but couldn't pull out in time to miss our bedroom door frame. Brook wasn't too thrilled about the loss. I think I also took out a PT boat or two too.

There were kids that liked building classic monster models. I liked to build fighter planes, WWII vehicles and the like. I once put together a Vietnam era Huey helicopter model. I preferred using the Testor's glue in a tube. I once ran out of it and found a bottle of the liquid airplane glue. I didn't bother to read the label. I remember I was trying to put together a jeep - but things started getting real fuzzy. Brook walked in the bedroom door and saw me on the floor - or should I say three inches off the floor - with an accidental glue high glaze in my eyes. He knew by the odor what I had done. He got me out of the room and took me outside so I could get some fresh air and clear my head. My poor Willis Jeep model looked as if it were assembled by Picasso.

To this day there is still a model that I'd like to put together. I noticed several months ago while at Hobby Lobby that there was a nice looking B-17 Flying Fortress kit there. I didn't get it at the time because I've got too much cool stuff already as it is. I think there is a big kid in me. I think there is still a big kid in most men - willing to spend a Saturday afternoon with a scale model kit.
For what it's worth Brook - I'm sorry.

4 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Testor's....Glue of choice for aspiring model makers.
What is it about the "little Brother Syndrome?" We just seem to have a lot of bad luck when it comes to our older brothers models.

My brother, wayne, ordered a 20 mule team model from the TV show Death Valley Days. It was a model of the wagons they showed in the opening moments of the show that hauled out borax from the mines out west. The model came in and he assembled it. 20 mules (by two's) pulling these two wagons loaded with boraxo and followe by a water wagon. He spent hours putting this thing together and even to add a touch of realism, made trace lines from all the mules and ran them to the driver sitting on the first wagon. He made a stand out of wood to mount this model on. I mean it was incredible. With one fail swoop of a rubber ball that I lost control of.....well, you know the rest of the story. Mules everywhere. Wagons with wheels missing and two drivers forever frozen on their sides holding reins that were attached to nothing. My Dad whipped me. My mother yelled at me and I slept with one eye open because my brother swore he would kill me in the dark of night.

mb

David Finlayson said...

I am so glad I made this post! Reading your comment made my day.

"...one eye open because my brother swore he would kill me in the dark of the night."

I've been there man - I've been there!

Brook said...

Dave, it worked both ways as I recall. Remember the time you spent hours arranging your hundreds of army men in the bedroom for one epic battle? One basketball was all it took to make the Falaise Gap look like dress-order parade in comparison. Brothers can be so mean!

David Finlayson said...

lol

You were pretty damn good with that basketball........when you were off court.