Tuesday, February 10, 2009

cardboard nuclear sub

While browsing for the Ad above, I ran across a post about a guy that was actually a proud owner of one of these when he was a kid. His parents had tried to talk him out of it, but the kid was determined that he was going to own his very own nuclear submarine. His letter is better than anything I could write about it. As a kid, I always wondered what that sub was really like. Now I know. There was also a cardboard tank advertised back in the day. Gee whiz - $6.98 for your very own sub! Maybe it's a good thing that it was cardboard - I probably would have tried to launch it in the Coosa. One thing for sure - it was probably capable of diving.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

My folks were not as understanding as others....
My dad, "Boy! That's about the dumbest thing you ever wanted."
OF course this is coming from someone who, along with his best friend, lived in a refrigerator box for 3 days trying to be like the astronauts on a journey to the moon. Needless to say, after 3 days in that box.....we were, how shall I put it.....a bit gamey from the close quarters.
mb

David Finlayson said...

I hope you had some Tang in your capsule. You would have lost the who astronauts in space thing without having the breakfast of astronauts on board.